We love dreamy summer days by the sea! It’s all about sun-kissed skin, tousled hair and perfectly pedicured toes peeping out of pretty summer sandals. But all that sun, sea and sand can be tough on your natural glow. Read on for our best summer holiday beauty tips to fight the frizz, soothe the skin and get back your glow!
1) First thing’s first: Sun cream, sun cream, sun cream! You know the drill by now; opt for a high SPF with UVA & UVB protection & reapply at every opportunity. A great way to remember, is to reapply every time you have a drink – If you feel thirsty, your skin probably does too.
2) Once you’re home (or back at the hotel!) after a day in the sun, make sure to exfoliate and moisturise well. This is the best way to ensure an even, long lasting tan to compliment your stunning summer maternity dresses.
3) And because sometimes even the most diligent SPF patrollers will miss a bit, keep a stash of home-made cooling after sun in the freezer. Simply freeze aloe in an ice tray & pop out a cube or two to soothe sun burn when needed.
4) From dried out frizzy sun damage to colour stripping chlorine, summer can be hard on your hair. One great way to minimize chlorine damage is to wet your hair before you take the plunge. If it’s already saturated with water or a hydrating product, your hair won’t take on as much of the chemicals and chlorine from the pool – this is one of our favourite summer beauty tips!
5) The sooner you can wash your hair afterwards, the better – use a clarifying shampoo asap to banish the build-up of salt, sand and chemicals.
6) A deep conditioning treatment will give you back your natural gleam. Try mixing your favourite conditioner with equal parts of pure jojoba oil and olive oil for the ultimate re-hydrating treatment; leave it on for 20 minutes then rinse well to reveal beautiful, shiny, healthy hair.
7) We all know the havoc that summer can wreak on our feet; fight dry cracked heels and rough skin with a home-made Listerine foot soak! It may sound strange, but it really can help soften up your skin. Mix 1 part Listerine mouth wash, 1 part apple cider vinegar and 2 parts warm water in a shallow bowl and soak your feet for 20 minutes.
8) After a foot soak, exfoliate and remove dead skin using a sea salt scrub. Shop bought ones are great, but home-made can be just as good; we love this sea salt and coconut oil scrub from Nicole posted on her blog Wonky Wonderful.
9) A glossy coat of your favourite summer nail varnish will put the perfect finishing touch on your home pedicure. For easy application and the ultimate smooth finish, chill your nail varnish in the fridge before you want to use it – sounds weird but it really works!
10) Once you’ve restored your natural glow, show it off with the perfect summer maternity clothes! Browse our collections & discover cute day dresses, gorgeous maternity swimwear & the stunning evening wear styles for pregnancy.